Many non-immigrant visa applicants who have previously had a U.S. visa qualify to renew their visa by mail instead of scheduling an interview at the consular section.
This is not a part of and has nothing to do with the Visa Waiver Program or ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization).
You may submit your visa renewal application by registered mail to the address listed below and proceed without a consular interview if you meet all of the following qualifications:
- All ten fingerprints were scanned at a prior consular interview (Stockholm started with Ten-fingerprinting on June 15th 2007).
- You are applying for the exact same type of visa as your current/previous visa (e.g. B1, B2, B1/B2, J1, J2, F1, F2, M1, M2, C1/D, H1B, L1, O1, O2, P, R, E, I, etc.)
- Applicants applying for E, H, L, P, or R visas must possess a visa that is currently valid or that has expired within 12 months of the date of your application
- Applicants applying for any category of visa other than E, H, L, P, or R must possess a visa that is currently valid or has expired within 48 months of the date of your application
- Your visa does not have 'Clearance Received' or 'Waiver Granted' annotated on it
- You are not from a country whose citizens are required to pay a reciprocity fee. These are fees another country charges a U.S. citizen for a similar type of visa. The Department of State's website has more information about reciprocity fees and can help you determine if this fee applies to you.
- You have never been arrested for any reason anywhere in the world
- You are not applying to replace a visa that has been lost or stolen
- You are physically present in Sweden
- If you do not have a Swedish passport, you must have legal residence in Sweden and provide proof of residence with your application
- Your current passport will be valid for at least 6 more months
- You will not need your current passport for one week following the date we receive your application
- Please note that Blanket-L visas cannot use the Visa Reissuence Program
If one or more of the conditions do not apply, then you must schedule an interview in order to apply for your visa.
Note: Using the mail-in renewal service does not guarantee visa issuance. In some cases, you may be required to appear for a visa interview at the U.S. Embassy/Consulate, for example, if you submit an incomplete and/or inaccurate application.
How to Apply
Complete the Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application (DS-160) form.
Please mail in all the required documents for the category of visa for which you are applying based on the checklists below. An incomplete application will be returned. Note: As indicated in the checklist, please be sure you have paid the appropriate fee prior to mailing in your application.
Mail your sealed visa renewal application to the address listed below.
Dag Hammarskjöld Väg 31
115 89 Stockholm
You should expect to receive your passport back in the mail within one week of our receipt of your application. Please be aware that if you mail in your application for renewal, but do not meet all of the qualifications outlined above, your passport and application will be returned to you by mail and you will be required to make an appointment for an interview at the consular section. Some applications may require additional administrative processing in which case processing will take more than 2 weeks. If your case requires additional administrative processing or any additional documentation, the consular section will notify you via email and provide additional instructions as necessary.