Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Media (I-Visa)

Representatives of the foreign media traveling to the United States on assignment, filming a news event or documentary require an I-visa. Representatives of the foreign media include, but are not limited to, members of the press, radio, or film whose activities are essential to the foreign media function, such as reporters, film crews, editors and persons in similar occupations.

Important: Freelance journalists and members of independent production companies must be under contract to a media organization to be able to obtain an I-visa.

The Embassy will require the following from any journalist applying for an I-visa: a letter from your employer stating name, position held with the company and length of time. The applicant must also bring proof of membership in a professional journalistic organization.