Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
General Questions

How do I get a certified copy of a U.S. birth/death/marriage/divorce certificate?

You need to contact the CDC National Center for Health Statistics in the state where the event took place.

How do I obtain a certified (or replacement) copy of my Consular Report of Birth Abroad certificate?

Please see the Department of State's webpage "Obtaining Copies of Consular Reports of Birth Abroad".

I am currently outside the U.S. How do I register to vote, and where can I obtain an absentee ballot?

Please see the U.S. Embassy page on voting.

I am currently residing in Sweden and my U.S. driver's license has expired. How can I renew it?

You need to contact the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in the U.S. state where your license was issued. An online search should give you the relevant contact details. The U.S. Embassy in Sweden cannot assist with the renewal of your U.S. driver's license.

Is my Swedish driver's license valid in the U.S.?

Please see the follow page for Driver's License Information.

I need to have a document notarized for use in the U.S. Can I do that at the Embassy?

Yes, a consular officer at a U.S. Embassy can notarize documents.

I need to hire a lawyer. What assistance can the U.S. Embassy in Stockholm offer?

Please see the visit the U.S. Embassy page on Legal Assistance.

I want to get married in Sweden. Are there any special regulations I should be aware of?

Please see the U.S. Embassy page on Marriage Information.

Can I file for a divorce in Sweden if I got married in the U.S.?

Yes, as long as you have registered your marriage with the Swedish tax authorities (Skatteverket).

Is my divorce/marriage valid in Sweden/U.S.?

Please see the U.S. Embassy page on Marriage Information.

Where can I find information about validity of marriage and divorce in the U.S. and in Sweden?

Please see the U.S. Embassy page on Marriage Information.

I would like to move to Sweden. How can I obtain a residence permit?

Please contact the Swedish Embassy or Consulate in your home country, or the Swedish Migration Board.

I wish to extend my stay in Sweden. How can I extend my Swedish tourist/student/resident visa?

Please contact the Swedish Migration Board.

How do I obtain up-to-date information on visa requirements, travel warnings and public announcements about the countries I will be traveling to?

Please see the Department of State's website for International Travel.

How do I locate friends/relatives in the United States?

Please see "Finding People in the U.S" for further information.

I’m a U.S. citizen; do I need to apply for travel authorization using the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) prior to traveling to the U.S.?

The Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) does not apply to U.S. citizens. Only citizens of Visa Waiver Program countries (such as Sweden) must apply for travel authorization online prior to traveling to the U.S. (Full list of Visa Waiver Program countries. PDF 56.9 KB) Please note that according to Section 215 of the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1185), it is illegal for an U.S. citizen to enter or leave the U.S. on any other document than an U.S. passport. This applies to dual citizens as well, meaning that persons holding e.g. both Swedish and American citizenships and passports must enter and leave the U.S. on a U.S. passport. They may not enter/leave the U.S. on a Swedish passport. This applies to children as well as adults.