Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Visas, Residence And Work Permits For Sweden
image of U.S. flag

American Citizen Services Unit

To be able to work in Sweden you need a work permit, which is issued by the Swedish Migration Board (Migrationsverket).

For all questions concerning visas for Sweden, extending your stay in Sweden, residency and/or work permits in Sweden etc., please contact the Swedish Migration Board. If you are not in Sweden, please contact the Swedish Board. If you are not in Sweden, please contact the Swedish Embassy or Consulate closest to you. For contact information please visit the website of the Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs.

The U.S. Embassy can unfortunately not assist in finding employment in Sweden. We suggest you try the website of the Swedish National Labor Market Administration (Arbetsförmedlingen).

Contact Information for the Swedish Migration Board

Information telephone: 0771-19 44 00, 9am-3pm

Main office:


Tel. +46 11 15 60 00
Fax. +46 11 10 81 55

Stockholm Area

Tel: 08-470 97 00
Fax: 470 99 30
Visiting address: Pyramidvägen 2A, Solna

Visiting times regarding residency (Information Desk): Monday-Wednesday 8.30–15.00, Thursday 12.00–18.00, Friday 8.30–12.00

Telephone times regarding residency:0771-47 78 78 Monday–Friday 8.30-10.00

For contact information to other Migration Board offices in Sweden, please visit their website.